Advertisements
Equality

International Day of the Girl

“This is a critical time for the girls in our world”

– Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka

UN Under Secretary-General  and Executive Director of UN Women.

The world is thriving with 1.1 billion girls challenging the status quo. From courageous fierce activists to out of the box thinkers, mathematicians, athletes, artists, authors, scientists and fabulous glitter stars.

They all face challenges, stigmas and hardships… yet they persist, resist and thrive against all odds.

A little more than 600 million are adolescents girls that will join the workforce in the next five years, more than 90% live in developing countries and will work in the informal sector, with low or no pay at all, abuse and exploitation. The other 10% live in developed countries facing other kind of challenges: gender gap, harassment, ceiling glass, inequality.

Doesn’t matter where they live, girls all over the world  “are facing adversities that hinder their education” (UN Women)

Strong facts

  • 12 million girls under 18 will be married (and won’t continue any sort of education)
  • 21 million girls aged 15 to 19 will become pregnant in developing regions (risking their life and the baby’s)
  • 13.5% of the global unemployed population is female
  • By the age of 6 years old, girls already believe that boys are “smarter and more capable” than them.

International Day of the Girl is about making sure that our daughters, granddaughters, sisters and nieces grow up in a world where they are heard, seen and valued.

Empowerment of and investment in girls are key in breaking the cycle of discrimination and violence and in promoting and protecting the full and effective enjoyment of their human rights”

-United Nations Resolution 66/170

Under the theme, With Her: A Skilled GirlForce, International Day of the Girl will mark the beginning of a year-long effort to advocate for the creation of inclusive and accesible schools, provide girls with the same learning and career opportunities than boys have, increase girls’ participation in STEM learning.

It is time to engage with corporations to invest in girls’ education and create school-to-work initiatives supporting entrepreneurship, mentoring and training.

 

Advertisements